These Air Fryer Chicken Hips are crispy on the outside but juicy inside. These deliciously seasoned, super flavorful chicken legs can be prepared in just 20 minutes.
Recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
An air fryer is the best way to cook chicken legs. It’s quick and easy to have bone-in, skin-on chicken legs ready in just 20 minutes. Or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, ready in 16 minutes. The air fryer makes chicken thighs extremely versatile. You can change up the spices to create different flavor combinations. There’s nothing better than crispy chicken skin. It’s so crispy and thin that it almost melts in your mouth. These chicken thighs can be served with rice or roasted vegetables to make them more substantial.
How long does it take to cook chicken thighs in an air fryer?
It will take approximately:
- For bone-in chicken thighs with skin, it takes 18-22 minutes
- For boneless, skinless chicken thighs, it takes 16-20 minutes
The total cooking time for poultry varies. To ensure that the temperature is not too high, use a digital meat thermometer to measure it before you serve.
What you need?
Chicken Thighs: I used boneless chicken thighs with the skin on. This recipe can also be made with boneless chicken legs, which will take approximately 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Oil: Although I prefer olive oil, any oil can be used, such as avocado oil or canola oil.
Spices: This recipe calls for a dry rub. It was so delicious! You will need brown sugar, salt and garlic powder.
How to cook chicken thighs in an air fryer?
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F
- Use paper towels to dry the chicken thighs.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt and garlic powder. Use the dry rub to season the chicken thighs.
- After the oven has been preheated, spray your basket with nonstick spray and place the chicken thighs skin-side down in one layer.
- After 10 minutes of air-frying, flip the chicken legs over and cook for another 8-12 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
Tips for Air Fried Chicken Thighs
- The chicken thighs don’t need to be washed. You can pat the chicken dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This will ensure a crisper chicken skin.
- Use a dry rub. The skin will only get crispy if enough moisture comes from the marinades.
- Only a small amount of oil is required. You can make your skin soggy if you use too much oil.
- Cook in batches. Refrain from overloading the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and crisp skin. My air fryer comfortably accommodated four chicken thighs without any overlap.
Storing and Reheating
Storing: For up to five days, keep leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Reheat: For leftover chicken thighs, heat them in an air fryer for 3-4 mins or in the microwave.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe
These Air Fryer Chicken Breasts are crispy and juicy! It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and can be paired with any of your favorite side dishes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Course: Chicken, Dinner, Main course
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 4 Chicken thighs
- Calories: 342 Kilocalories
- Air Fryer
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast thighs
- 2 teaspoons olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black Pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking Steps & Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F.
- Pat the chicken legs dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over it. Combine well and coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt and garlic powder.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix the seasoning mix.
- Spray the interior basket of your air fryer using nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken thighs in a single layer (see notes).
- Cook the chicken for 10 minutes at 350°F.
- Turn the chicken over, and cook an additional 8-12 mins or until internal temperature registers at 165°F (cooking times will vary).
- Some believe it’s better to cook the chicken legs skin-side-down. Both I agree and disagree. I have cooked my chicken thighs both skin-side up and skin-side down, and they turn out great either way.
- The remaining chicken thighs can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Heat the oven to 380°F and spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray. Heat for 2 minutes or until hot.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 606IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information is provided as an estimate. It will change based on the cooking method and the specific brand of ingredients used.